IASTM is another treatment mode to resolve pain and tightness in the body. This approach to fascia work reduces friction which allows a preciseness, sensitivity, and depth that cannot be accomplished by the practitioner directly.
IASTM instruments make it easier to detect and treat fascial dysfunction. They magnify the abnormalities (scars, restrictions, and adhesions) in the fascia and make it easier to locate the area to treat. Using a tool focuses the force through an area smaller than your finger with less friction. This allows a more efficient treatment. The goal is to trigger an inflammatory healing response. This will stimulate the production of new collagen and proper, more functional, less painful healing.
Benefits of IASTM
- Decreases overall time of treatment
- Allows faster rehabilitation/recovery
- Reduces need for anti-inflammatory medication
- Resolves chronic conditions thought to be permanent
- Clients can continue to engage in everyday activities
Common Issues Treated
- Cervical sprain/strain (neck pain)
- Lumbar sprain/strain (back pain)
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (wrist pain)
- Plantar Fasciitis (foot pain)
- Lateral Epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
- Medial Epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow)
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis (shoulder pain)
- Patellofemoral Disorders (knee pain)
- Achilles Tendinitis (ankle pain)
- Scar Tissue
- Trigger Finger
- Shin Splints
The instruments are skillfully used to facilitate healing and desired remodeling of the soft tissues. The result is a restoration of mobility and restored function. This treatment is a very useful adjunct to other manual treatments such as ART and chiropractic.